Manhattan ‘terror’ attack: Uber says man who ploughed truck into crowd is its driver, passed background check

Police investigate a vehicle allegedly used in a ramming incident on the West Side Highway in Manhattan, New York, U.S., October 31 2017. (Reuters Photo) Related News

Ride-hailing service Uber confirmed that the man suspected to have carried out the terror attack in Manhattan in New York on Tuesday is one of its drivers, reported news agency The Associated Press. In a statement, the company said 29-year-old Sayfullo Saipov had passed a background check and had been actively using its platform for the last six months. He had taken over 1,400 trips. Saipov, reportedly an Uzbekistan national who migrated to the US in 2010, is suspected of killing at least eight people and injuring 11 after driving onto a bike path near the World Trade Centre memorial in Lower Manhattan.

Uber released a statement saying it is “horrified by this senseless act of violence”. It added it has approached authorities and will provide full assistance in the case. It is “aggressively and quickly reviewing” the suspect’s history with Uber, reported AP. Saipov is now banned from using the Uber app. 

The police shot the driver of the truck in the abdomen before arresting him. He underwent surgery on Tuesday and is expected to survive. He had jumped out of the vehicle, screaming “Allahu Akbar”, and carrying what was later found to be fake guns.

In pictures:

According to reports, a note was recovered from the truck that referred to the Islamic State terror group. Authorities, in possession of it, are reviewing its contents.

(With inputs from AP)

For all the latest , download

© IE Online Media Services Pvt Ltd More Related News

Receive News & Ratings Via Email - Enter your email address below to receive a concise daily summary of the latest news and analysts' ratings with's FREE daily email newsletter.

Leave a Comment